You may have heard the term “Ransomware” recently. Ransomware is a form of malicious software, or malware, which gets downloaded to your computer and effectively locks you out of your computer’s files until you pay a ransom to unlock them. There is, however, no guarantee that paying the ransom will give you access. Once your computer has been infected by ransomware, it can be very difficult to get rid of it. Even if you pay the ransom and you regain access to your files, it does not mean that your computer is no longer infected.
There are many ways to protect your computer from ransomware. The most effective ways are as follows:
- Always keep your computer’s operating system up to date
- Always run the latest internet browsers
- Make sure you have current Anti-Virus software installed on your computer
- Never click on suspicious emails or attachments
- Avoid suspicious or unknown websites
To learn more about ransomware and how to protect yourself, you may visit Microsoft’s Ransomware Page for more information.